Is this service right for me?
Substantive editing (or ‘structural editing’) is suitable if you are developing a new work or adapting an existing work. It involves assessing and shaping material at a draft stage to improve its organisation and content. (If these aspects are complete, see Copyediting instead.)
What is included?
- Is information complete and appropriate? Is additional material required?
- Is any major rewriting required?
- Is any rearrangement, expansion or summarising required to achieve the most logical structure?
- Does the document contain appropriate navigation aids?
Language and style editing
- Ensure language and form are appropriate to the readership
- Ensure there is a logical flow and appropriate weighting of discussion
- Ensure information and arguments are clear and unambiguous
- Eliminate wordiness, triteness, repetition and inappropriate jargon
- Improve awkward phrasing
- Ensure consistency in tone and writing style
Clarity of presentation
- Check that the presentation is simple and effective
- Ensure the document title and all headings accurately reflect contents
- Check appropriateness, placement and clarity of tables and figures
- Check material in tables and figures against textual references
- Ensure appropriate referencing is provided
- Ensure that explanations of symbols, abbreviations and terms are provided.
Pricing is based on the nature of the project. Please call or email Lilla to discuss your requirements and request a quote.